Nepal – Psychedelic Honey Trek
Apply Now (for cost details)
Nepal – Psychedelic Honey Hunting Trek
Update: This trip will happen again in the 2nd week of November since this special honey gets harvested only twice a year. Use the Application form and we will get back to you with exact dates soon.
Let us start off by saying that, THIS TRIP IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Also, this is not an ordinary trekking trip, in fact, this is not about trekking. Consider the trekking and camping in the foothills of Annapurna in Nepal and the gorgeous views along the way to our destination and back as just the bonus if you come along on this extraordinary journey.
Why is this trip so extraordinary you ask?
Twice a year, deep in the jungles of central Nepal, members of the Gurung tribe harvest a very special honey from the steep Himalayan cliffs in an age-old tradition of daredevilry. There is a pooja that is organized before the hunt begins and then the honey hunters show their exceptional skills by hanging themselves from cliffs as high as 300 meters using just Bamboo ladders and hemp ropes while harvesting the honeycombs of the Himalayan Honey Bee, the world’s largest honey bee.
A fire is lit on the ground and the smoke drives the bees out of their combs. Depending on the location of the hive and the height of the cliff, smaller bundles of dried leaves surrounding wet ones are burnt and moved along the cliff by rope.The lead honey hunter collects honey in the bucket from the beehives and passes it down to the others
Once harvested, the honey is shared. All the community members who helped receive one portion, while the main honey hunter and those who pulled and guided the ladder get a double portion.
” But Why would I wanna go to Nepal to see honey harvesting? “
Apart from the fact that this whole process and tradition is nothing short of a spectacle, here is the real kicker……
This honey is a psychedelic substance !!!
The Gurung people of Nepal consume a teaspoon of the honey every morning, its medicinal properties are believed to help boost the immune system and it even has incredible healing properties.
Internationally, Vice Magazine did an article and so did our very own Homegrown , on the honey hunters of Nepal last year and the topic caught the fancy of many. These were based on Raphael Treza’s film, where he caught the whole ceremony on film.
As fascinating as this centuries-old tradition sounds, it is currently under threat from commercialisation and constant extraction of honey that doesn’t give the bees enough time to repopulate and build hives which can disrupt this ages old tradition permanently.
So we are making sure that we work with the local community in Nepal to participate in a DESIGNATED BI- ANNUAL HUNT to ensure that this amazing tradition stays alive and the local hunters and their families benefit from it without disrupting the cycle of the bees.
Check out the itinerary for the details of this extraordinary trekking and camping trip…..
Update: This trip will happen again around the last week of October and first week or November since this special honey gets harvested only twice a year. Use the Application form and we will get back to you with exact dates soon.
13th May – 21st May
( Saturday – Sunday)
Awesome people just like you, come for our trips from various cities and countries and we don’t like for it to be too crowded. So we cap the average number per group between 8 – 12 people with a healthy ratio!
These are once-in-a-lifetime experiences, not those touristy hordes being packed up in buses like sheep 🙂
- Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu anytime of the day and chill.
- Day 2: Drive from Kathmandu to Khudi 186KM, 6 hrs.
We drive along the Prithivi highway and come across beautiful villages, colorful people and agricultural landscapes. Today the route takes us all along the river valley. Stay in Khudi.
- Day 3: Trek from Khudi To Ghalagaun which takes about 6-7hrs.
After breakfast, the trail ascends all the way to Ghalagaun, The trail passes through a beautiful forest and if we are lucky, we will also get to see some of the area’s amazing wildlife. This area holds tremendous potential for bird watching,it really can be a birdwatcher’s paradise. Camping and overnight in Ghalagaun.
Day 4 and Day 5: Observe and participate in the Honey Hunting Ritual In Ghanpokhari & Ghalegaun.
It is a beautiful place to enjoy breathtaking views of numerous mountains. The area is populated by Gurung people who have wonderful culture & traditions. We meet up with our Local Honey Hunters and watch in awe as the hunting ceremony unfolds and the honey is harvested. Of course, everyone gets to sample a little bit of the honey once it is harvested.
- Day 6: Trek from Ghalegaun to Pasgaun, which takes about 6-7 hrs.
After breakfast, our trail descends to Bhujung. After the Bhujung trail; we will then head to Passgaun. It is a long and hard day trek and we camp overnight in Pasgaun.
- Day 07: Trek from Pasaun to Pakharikot or Nanngdidhar which takes about 5-6hrs.
The trail ascends gently through jungles and beautiful waterfalls. Here you can will enjoy the joyful chirpings of the birds. After lunch, the trail once again begins to descend. It is a steep descent for about half an hour. One has to ensure that you carry enough water as there is a shortage of drinking water in this area.
- Day 8: Arrive in Pokhra and explore.Early morning, we drive to Sarangkot to have close-up views of Mt. Fishtail and Annapurna. Enjoy some sight-seeing in and around the city of Pokhara and in the afternoon drive or fly back toKathmandu. (Driving takes about 5 hours by a private vehicle while flight takes about 25 minutes.) Overnight Stay in Kathmandu
- Day 9: Fly back home from Kathmandu
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- All meals
- All surface transfers as per itinerary
- Necessary National Park fees
- All necessary paper works and permits in Nepal
- High-quality Camping equipment such as North Face or Mountain Hardware tents for camping
- Kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses and other kitchen equipment and Cook
- Travel and rescue arrangements for our staffs
- All ground transportation by private vehicles as per the itinerary program
- Experienced English speaking guide
- Porter’s Charges [Porter can carry up to 20kg]
- Tea and coffee during the trek
- Teahouse/Lodge and tented accommodation during trekking and climbing session
- Medical supplies [First Aid medical kit will be available]
- Trekking Information Management System [TIMS], New Trekking permit to keep record of tourists [This is for your safety]
- Seasonal fresh fruits of Nepal during the trek
- Meals in Kathmandu
- Domestic/international airfares
- Nepal entry visa fee ( Indians don’t need a visa )
- Expenses such as laundry, phone calls, internet and others
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Helicopter rescue due to unforeseen circumstances
- Any other expenses which are not mentioned in the inclusive price
- Any extra assistance like if you cannot walk properly our guide will arrange a horse for you [if applicable you have to pay them directly]
- Tips to staffs.
- Single supplement charges [if required]
- Your travel insurance in Nepal
- Cold drinks and beverages
In case you missed it, BEEP trips are not your usual “sightseeing tour packages” to commercial destinations. These are unique experiences that deserve passionate and awesome people, in pursuit of the extraordinary.
There are very limited spots possible on each trip that we put together with all our heart and soul and there are only so many we can do in a year. So to ensure that we have a fun bunch of awesome people on each of these amazing journeys, we ask you to….
Just fill in the quick form given below and you will hear from us shortly along with the cost.
- You only have to make a token deposit as specified in our email to reserve your spot.
- The token deposit is refundable before 45 days prior to the Start Date of the Trip in the form of a voucher that you can use for any BEEP Trip anytime in the future.
- Within 45 Days of the start date of the Trip, there will be no refund of the Token Deposit but you do have the option to transfer it to another person who can join the trip instead of you.
- In the unlikely scenario of a Force Majeure/Weather/Natural Calamity causing the event to not take place, the Token deposit will be refunded in the form of a voucher that you can use for any BEEP Trip anytime in the future.